(Suitable for Beginners)
Do you find yourself having that final glance in the mirror before you race out the door for work or reaching for keys, scarf or hat as you are heading for the car?
You need a Classic Mirror.
The mirrors are constructed from one piece of timber. The board is 900mm x 200mm x 30mm thick. It is re-sawn (split in half) on the bandsaw and book matched to reveal the unique grain and pattern of the timber.
This technique has the advantage of offering visual symmetry, balance and more importantly stability that will avoid the warping and twisting that occurs in solid timber construction. The mirrors are both functional and also contain pegs for hold essential clothing accessories such as scarves, hats, and keys.
Available timbers include Huon pine, Myrtle, Sassafras, Eucalypt, Tasmanian Blackwood, English Elm and Macrocarpa pine.
The tutor will craft a mirror and carefully demonstrate each step of construction.
Participants will learn to:
- Recognise decorative timber surfaces
- Machine timber on surface planer and overhead planer
- Re-saw timber on the bandsaw
- Domino and complete widening joint
- Complete template / pattern for mirror
- Router shape with template and 12mm Flush Trimming bit
- Select edge treatment and shape
- Router 3mm pocket for mirror
- Fasten hooks / pegs for accessories
- Detail sand and spray with furniture grade lacquer
- Fasten metal hardware to secure mirror to wall
Cost of Materials: $65