Decorative Solid Timber Box
(Suitable for beginners!)
Beautifully crafted decorative timber boxes are an excellent introduction to creative woodwork. This course extends a challenge to participants. Participants are encouraged to shape and plan their own wooden hinges, latches and catches or work with the tutor and follow one of their designs.
The decorative boxes feature a combination of exotic Tasmanian timbers, showcase joints, and handmade timber knobs, latches and hinges. Available timbers include Huon pine, Myrtle, Sassafras, Eucalypt, Tasmanian Blackwood, English Elm and Macrocarpa pine. The decorative timber boxes are finished with a furniture grade lacquer and complete with rubber buffer pins.
The tutor will craft a Decorative Solid Timber Box and carefully demonstrate each step of construction.
Participants will learn to:
- Recognise decorative timber surfaces
- Identify suitable surfaces for marking and setting out
- Complete dovetails with Gifkin Dovetailing Jig
- Glue and assemble sides, top and bottom.
- Split box on table saw
- Design and create knobs, latches and catches
- Detail sand and spray
Cost of Materials: $50